Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sport, Society & Me

My connection to sport is both my parents were athletes, and much of my uncles were athletes. I grew up in a predominantly male ran family. I grew up playing a lot of basketball, and tennis. I did not care too much for either one, but since I was a Young and we do not quit, I stuck out with these sports until something better came along. Then I got to high school and was introduced to volleyball. I was very good for my division and someone who had never played volleyball before. I was second in my league for combo blocks and number one for solo blocks. I loved volleyball but I knew that was not what I wanted to do, I could not make a career or living off of it. Before I came to college, sports was my life, I lived for sports. I kept my grades up just so I could play sports. Even during my pregnancy I played basketball, and two months after I had my daughter I was right back on the court playing. Once I got to college, to was not as much of a deal but I still manage to make time to play something, whether it is tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, or helping my daughter with her cheer routines, I do something.

In US society, to a point I think it is a positive role, because it keeps kids motivated to stay focused and it keeps a lot of kids off the streets. Sports helps with structure and routine. On the flip side, sports can be negative, because so many athletes feel entitled as if the world owes them something. No matter if it is a great team who is number one in the nation, to the worst team that has no hope of ever going anywhere, they act like they are the best thing that was put on this Earth. (No offense to anyone.) Sports in US society teach us about teamwork and how there is no I in team. Sport is something that all parents hope their children get involved in some kind of sport at least one. As a parent myself, I kept hoping and praying my daughter found a love and passion for a sport of some kind. I wanted her to play basketball, or soccer, or volleyball, but she found a love for swimming and cheer. I told her as long as she keeps doing good in school and at home, she can keep taking part in these activities, but when she messes up she will not do any of these activities for a week. Like I mentioned before sport can be a positive role in society. 

In society some athletes are respected, some are hated. For example, Peyton Manning is a well respected athlete in the NFL. Even though he is playing for Denver, when he went back to Indianapolis to play the Colts, he was missed and the crowd loved him. Then we have Terrell Owens was a heck of an athlete but he had a terrible attitude. Now he is at home sitting on his couch instead of getting paid to do what he loves most. He was respected as an athlete but not as an individual yet Peyton is respected for both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment