Friday, April 25, 2014

Final Reflections

Before i took this class, I knew the basics of US sport but I did not know in depth the issues and controversies around US sport. This class had made me look at sports in a completely different way. I was an athlete most of my life until I got to college and I constantly think about my experience as an athlete and I can relate on so many levels with the material we talked about in class. This class makes me feel bad for many collegiate and professional athletes that their only way to make it to the top and out of the hood is to do sports that will only take them so far and when the sport is done with them they throw them out like left over food and keep moving. This leaves many athletes broke and left with nothing. The only thing many athletes know is sports and the fact there are little to no help in the transition from sports to the normal world is messed on. Now when I watch sports my family and friends hate watching sports with me because I am constantly critiquing sports and trying to get them to think critically about what they are watching. i also use some of this material to talk in other classes about the relationship between society and sports. This stirs up a huge debate and many people get mad about what I have to say. I will definitely recommend this class to my friends especially those who have a first hand experience with sports and those who watch sports just for the entertainment purpose of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment